Friday, April 1, 2011

Cassette Love 013: Nick Pepe AKA DJ Freqnik!



Don't fret, the cheesy shout outs were totally a joke for Nick pepe. The man, the myth, the legend. Some of you may know Nick Pepe, but some of you may not. Nick was always a great DJ from the LI area. I heard him for the first time in 1993 in some Long Island club playing soul/breaks/hip-hop etc. He was and still is always super smooth on the decks. I didn't get a chance to know Nick personally until the mid 90s when I approached him after watching him cut up two copies of 7 Minutes of Funk like butter dripping from his finger tips. We've been cool as hell ever since. There used to be a lot more tapes by Nick floating around, and I remember listening to them in car rides to parties with friends etc, but this is the only one I have in my possession, and it's a killer. A perfect blend of samples, with little sections like DJ Premier sections, Pete Rock sections, Tribe Called Quest etc. Most deeper heads I know in the game have come across Nick somehow, and it's always positive things. He's been around for a long time save for the occasional hiatus, and he is now out and about working with Red Bull and playing parties as Deejay Freqnik.



Thanks for pulling out the few tapes you have left, and this is especially dope since this is the music I remember you playing!

Peep the quick 10 minute demo he whipped up recently:

QUICK DEMO MIX

No comments: